- Time coverage
The application process pendency is 24.6 months.
- For utility and plant: 17 years from grant or 20 years from filing, whichever is longer.
- Design: 14 years from grant date.
- Check a patent status
- Use Patent Application Information Retrieval: PAIR
- Application types
- Provisional - establish filing date but does not start examination process. Have to go to non-provisional application in order to get the patent.
- Non-Provisional - begin examination process and may lead to a patent.
- Application filing types
- Online using EFS, Electronic Filing System
- In writing
Once filled we get:
- Application number composes of 2-digit series number and 6-digit serial number.
- Confirmation number: 4-digit number
- Filing date
- File application
- Get application number, filing date
- Before 6 month - foreign filing, require license number
- Between 6-12 months - foreign filing
- 18 months - publication
- Has a USPTO customer number or registration number